Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Keep it simple

   I don't know about you, but I get tired of the overly sweetened boxed confections down the cereal isle in the market.  Even the "healty" ones just don't satisfy me.  I need something sweet, but not rot my teeth out sweet...and it has to be filling, because remember? I'm a busy mom!

   This recipe is one my kids and I alike love.  We eat it for breakfast, a snack, I even had it for dinner tonight!  It's adapted from a granola recipe that Food Network star Ina Garten uses.  It's simple and easy and so delicious you may find yourself carrying a baggie of it in your purse.

4 cups oats (I use quick oats and they work fine)
2 cups sweetened coconut shreds
2 cups of sliced almonds (or another nut of your choice)
3/4 cup of vegetable oil
1/2 cup of GOOD honey

Heat your oven to 350.  Put the first three ingredients in a large bowl and toss till combined.  Next whisk the oil and honey together in a separate bowl then drizzle mixture over dry ingredients.  Be sure that all the dry ingredients have a nice coating on them.  Lightly spray a baking pan with Pam and pour oat mix in and even it out.  Bake it in the oven for about 45 min checking often and mixing it up so that it browns evenly.  Let mixture cool.


Now you'll need to prep your dried fruit (if you're adding it).  I like to use dried cranberries and cherries because I like a tart kick, but you can use any dried fruit.  I'm sure with the coconut that dried pineapple would be divine, just make sure it's cut up small.  You'll want 1 cup of dried fruit per type of fruit.  You can use less or more to your tastes.  Mix in the fruit with the oats mixture and store in an airtight container.  Serve it up alone or in a bowl with some milk. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment